Italy is famous for its wide varieties of food items such as chocolates, beverages, pizza, pasta, cake, and much more. The authentic Italian panettone is the must-try variety of cake if you ever plan to visit Italy. Panettone is typically an Italian Christmas cake offered throughout Italy and Italian communities around the world. It is a dome-shaped cake containing a large fruity enriched sweet bread. Having a light and airy texture, Italian panettone has a sweet and buttery texture. It is both chewy like bread and fruity sweet like a fruit cake.
Here is the recipe to make authentic Italian Panettone:
For the Fruit
- mixed dried fruits (currants, raisins, cranberries, dried cherries): 10 Ounces
- Finely chopped lemon and orange peel: 4 ounces
- Glace or candied cherries: 2 ounces
- 6 tablespoons of any liqueur or fruit juice of your choice.
For the Dough
- Dry yeast: 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Milk: 6 ounces
- Fine sugar: 1/4 cup
- Bread Flour: 4 cups
- Fine salt: 1 tablespoon
- Eggs: 6
- Unsalted butter: 10 ounces
- Whole almonds: 1 ounce
For preparing the Fruit:
- Put all the dried fruits and other fruit ingredients mentioned in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour liqueur or fruit juice, cover, and put it overnight in a cool and dry place.
For preparing the Dough:
- Take a jug or a wide bowl and porn warmed milk into it.
- Sprinkle dried yeast and sugar.
- Stir it and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt into one side of the bowl and pour the frothy yeast mixture on the other side.
- Slowly mix, flour, salt, and yeast to combine the ingredients.
- Add the eggs and starting mixing faster and continue mixing until the dough smooths out.
- Keep mixing the ingredients at high speed while adding a few pieces of butter at a time.
- Mix for 5 more minutes until the dough becomes glossy, soft, and airy.
- Grease a large baking bowl with remaining butter.
- Slowly pour the dough into the greased bowl and scrap the leftover dough with a spatula.
- Cover the bowl with a tight lid and keep it in the fridge.
- Leave it overnight.
For preparing the Panettone:
- Flour the workspace heavily and gently tip the dough out of the bowl.
- Spread it outwards with your fingertips.
- Work the dough a little to preserve its fluffiness.
- Strain the soaked fruits into an airy container and discard the juices.
- Place half of these strained fruits into the spread-out dough.
- Fold the dough and start rolling it lightly to evenly distribute the fruits.
- Spread the dough again with your fingertips and place the remaining fruits on it.
- The dough with me lumpy due to the clusters of fruits.
- Fold the dough again and start rolling into a roughly shaped ball.
- Grease the panettone tin or regular cake tin with butter.
- Gently place the dough in the greased tin and tuck almonds on the surface of the dough.
- Cover the tin loosely with a tea cloth.
- Keep it in a warm place for 3 hours to let the dough rise above the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the remaining eggs in 1 ounce of milk and brush over the surface of the cake.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then lower the heat to 300 F to bake again for 40 more minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Your yummilicious Italian panettone is ready to be served.
- Have fun!!
Buy online panettone to devour the taste and delight of this Italian bread which is the traditional Italian Christmas cake baked all around the world. Italian panettone is a sweet bread loaded with dried fruits, lemon zest, and raisins and baked in a cylindrical mold to give it a unique traditional appearance. It is a holiday treasure bread so many families across the globe.