Found in males and females, estrogen plays a vital role as a hormone in our body. Gaining higher levels of estrogen can lead to a number of symptoms and may result to particular medical conditions. This article would discuss on what estrogen dominance really is and its role in the body. We would describe how levels gain higher, the symptoms and possible complications and how a physician diagnoses and cure high estrogen levels. For supplements on estrogen, you may get one here !
What is estrogen?
Estrogen is known as the female sex hormone, but it is also seen present in men. Women bear higher levels of estrogen. On the other hand, men bear more testosterone. This is the main male sex hormone. In women, this hormone acts as an important factor in the menstrual cycle and reproductive system. While, in men, it is a vital part on sexual function. Overall, men and women may bear higher levels of estrogen. This can pertain to their health and sexual development or function.
What is estrogen dominance?
Estrogen is a vital part as a female sex hormone in their body. In females, estrogen aids in the delivery of sexual development, regulates menstruation and affects the whole reproductive system. Basically, it is a hormone that acts in balance with another vital sex hormone, the progesterone. Such relationship between the two is needed for both to function efficiently. When there is a change among the two, it may result to disruption.
Estrogen dominance bear two (2) ways to be present in the body. During the time there is more estrogen present in the body or lack of progesterone, estrogen dominance takes place. In this lieu, there is too much estrogen compared to progesterone.
For a fact, the body has three (3) particular types of estrogen. These are the estriol, estradiol and estrone. When there is an excess in these hormones, women may suffer from certain ailments, such as hypothyroidism, uterine fibroids and cancer, endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, ovarian cysts and cancer and breast cancer.
Furthermore, the hormone estrogen can be gained from five (5) possible sources:
- Inside The Body:
- Estrogen is processed in the fat cells, ovaries, adrenal glands and placenta.
- From Outside The Body:
- From estrogen containing foods and herbs (like soy, pumpkin seeds, licorice root, legumes and others.)
- Animal products that were allowed growth using hormones (like dairy, meat, fish and poultry.)
- Those that contain environmental elements or xenoestrogens (like personal care products, pesticides, parabens, cleaning products, plastics and others.)
- Those that have synthetic estrogens (like hormone replacement therapy, fertility drugs and birth control.)
What Causes Estrogen Dominance?
In the period of a regular menstrual cycle, estrogen is seen as the dominant hormone in preliminary two (2) weeks resulting to ovulation. Furthermore, estrogen is balanced by progesterone in the last two (2) weeks. On the other hand, when a female begins to have the signs of perimenopause and starts to feel anovulatory cycles (like when there are cycles where no ovulation takes place), there can be an upsurge of estrogen. In turn, it leads to symptoms. Also, skipping ovulation is a vital element in estrogen dominance. The other causes of estrogen dominance may be:
- Bearing a case of overweight (like when the body fat shows a greater than twenty-eight percent (28%)), because fat cells generate estrogen
- There is a burdened liver, which results to estrogen not being processed and diminished from the body efficiently. This leads to an upsurge in estrogen.
- Experiencing overstressed. Stress can lead to added amounts of norepinephrine, insulin and cortisol. This may result to adrenal exhaustion and in turn would influence the whole hormonal balance.
- Consuming a low-fibre diet, which bears a lot of refined carbohydrates and not suffice nutrients and healthy fats. For a fact, fibre aids in the diminishing of estrogen through bowel movements.
- When there is an environmental exposure to estrogen-related compounds (like phthalates and BPA).
- Estrogen dominance also is said to be related with increased blood clotting, allergies, breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine cancer, ovarian cysts, infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome, and autoimmune disorders. It is also seen to happen during acceleration of the aging process.
Signs and Symptoms of Estrogen Dominance:
For a fact, estrogen dominance can lead to severe complications and symptoms, like menstrual cramps and headaches, weight gain (especially in the hips and thighs); mood swings; insomnia (especially waking up in the middle of the night); fibrocystic breasts; breast swelling and tenderness; low libido; sluggish metabolism; foggy thinking, memory loss; thyroid dysfunction; acne; and irregular/abnormal menstruation (heavy bleeding, large clots).
How to Eliminate Estrogen Dominance:
- Consume a hormone-balancing diet (like eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, with suffice protein, and healthy fats.)
- Add more fibre intake to aid in the releasing of estrogen, which can also hinder its reabsorption through the bowel.
- Eat cruciferous veggies (like Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and cabbage). This aids in estrogen metabolism and clearance.
- Consume organic meat and dairy to lower down your exposure to environmental hormones used in farming.
- Cut down excess body fat and do exercising routines regularly to encourage detoxification and circulation.
- Regulate daily stress.
- Cut down exposure to antibiotics, pesticides and hormones in the environment and diet
- Prevent being exposed to synthetic estrogens (like birth control pills or synthetic hormone replacement therapy).
- Use personal care products over those that don’t have parabens, phthalates, fragrances and other hormone hurting chemicals.
· Cut down on the use of plastic water bottles and food storage containers. Instead, use stainless steel, ceramic and glass.
Pooja is a digital nomad and founder of https://hotmaillog.in She travels the world while freelancing & blogging. She has over 5 years of experience in the field with multiple awards. She enjoys pie, as should all right-thinking people.