As the winter comes, your children will be more prone to catch colds and fevers because of their immature immune system. They usually play outside without a warm jacket or walk around barefoot all the time. By doing that, viruses along with other germs can easily attack them and cause serious infections.
What is Croup?
Croup is a medical term used to describe the infection of your upper respiratory tract that could make you experience the distinctive barking cough. Several components of your upper airway will become swollen and inflamed, to be more specific, the infectious process happens around the vocal cords. Especially, you need to know that croup can be a potentially life-threatening problem when the windpipe is seemingly blocked. Additionally, croup normally affects infants and babies which cannot tell you how they feel and only cry out loud. Hence, it is very necessary to figure out when your child has trouble with breathing.
What Causes Croup?
In fact, croup develops from the common cold or flu which you averagely catch for two or three times a year. The reasons why your child gets sick are really various. For one, the viruses are spread through coughing, sneezing or person-to-person contact. Another reason is that your baby has physical contact with the germs which are on the toys, doors, clothes…
What are the Symptoms of Croup?
The following is some remarkable symptoms of croup that you should take into consideration:
- Hard to breathe
- A cough sounds like a dog’s bark
- Exhale and inhale faster than normal
- Fatigue, faint
- Discoloration of the lips, nose or fingernails
Home Remedies for Croup
If your little baby is suffering from croup, you had better try the steam remedy. Indeed, it has shown the best result of treating croup for a long time. The hot temperature will help open up the nasal passages and keep it clean. Moreover, heat and moisture are able to thin out the mucus in the nose, so he/she can breathe more easily. It is advised that you can combine steam with essential oils to speed up the healing process.
How to apply
- Go to your bathroom and turn the shower up
- Close the door to keep steam inside
- Allow your baby to take a deep breath in the steam
- After 20 – 25 minutes, take him out
- Keep doing this method on a daily basis to get rid of croup.
One of the most effective home remedies for croup is honey that you can perform right at your home. The antibiotic content of honey has a great effect on reducing some awful symptoms of croup. It helps eliminate bad bacteria and prevent the infection of your upper respiratory tract. Besides, honey boosts your immune system and reduces the risk of sickness effectively.
How to apply
- Pour 1 – 2 teaspoons of honey into a glass of milk or herbal tea. Consume it every day until you see the improvement.
- Alternatively, combine 1 tablespoon of honey with some lemon juice to create a mixture. Drink it twice per day to get rid of croup.
In fact, ginger is a wonderful treatment for many health issues and croup is not an exception. With the antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can aid you in preventing the infection and reducing the number of viruses in your body. Furthermore, it has the ability to break down sticky mucus and clear the sinuses.
How to apply
- Sprinkle sea salt on some slices of ginger and chew them on a daily basis.
- Consume ginger in other forms such as candies, powder, capsules…
- Or you can make a mixture of basil leaves, ginger and honey. Remember to consume it regularly until the croup is disappeared.
- Drink More Water
Drink more water is an easy and simple home remedy for croup, do you know that? Indeed, dehydration is associated with a higher risk of infection and fatigue. Hence, you should keep your baby hydrated by adding healthy beverages to every meal. On one hand, water plays an important role in flushing out toxins naturally as well as carrying nutrients to all parts of your body. On the other hand, it helps ease the inflammation, clear the air passages and reduce thick mucus. Apart from water, you can also give your child some other liquids like lemonade, smoothies, soups, herbal teas…
Hot milk with some turmeric can be your best answer on how to get rid of croup. Because turmeric includes anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help you reduce the infection, clean the nasal passages and relax your vocal cords. After a few days using this tip, those uncomfortable symptoms of croup will no longer annoy you.
How to apply
- Pour several teaspoons of turmeric into a cup of warm milk. Consume this liquid on a daily basis until the infection goes away.
- Another choice is to mix some turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of honey to make a paste. Consume it daily for a week.
- Essential Oils
Essential oils are a simple and safe home remedy for treating croup. Indeed, these oils are really beneficial to your child’s skin and body because they come from nature. A foot massage with tea tree oil can promote the blood circulation and keep your child’s body warm. It helps relax the tiredness, reduce the congestion and promote immunity to fight off viruses. In addition to tea tree oil, some other effective oils that can be used are lavender, olive, rosemary…
How to apply
- Dab some tea tree oil on your child’s feet
- Gently massage them for 10 – 15 minutes until he/she falls asleep
- Repeat the tip on a daily basis to get rid of croup.
- Vitamin C
Last but not least, vitamin C could be your best choice to deal with croup. Daily intakes of vitamin C from diet can help your child reduce the infection, break down mucus, and prevent fever. Plus, vitamin C has a positive impact on improving immunity and helps your child feel better. To deal with croup, give him/her some nutritious fruits such as orange, apple, strawberry, mango…