What is hypothyroidism?
Thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland which is located in the front part of the neck. This gland is responsible for the presence of thyroid hormones in the body. When the thyroid gland fails to produce an adequate number of thyroid hormones in the body, it results in a medical condition called hypothyroidism.
What is the role of thyroid in the human body?
What are the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism?
The most common symptom of hypothyroidism is unexplained weight gain, despite eating less. The other common symptoms include:
· Heavy periods
· Becoming sensitive to cold temperatures
· Hair fall
· Loss of libido
· Dry and coarse skin
· Weakness in the muscles
Causes of hypothyroidism:
The main cause behind hypothyroidism is the failure of the thyroid gland. Below are a few other common causes:
· Insufficient iodine: Less amount of iodine is one of the leading causes of hypothyroidism. So, make sure you take adequate amount of iodine.
That being said, people who develop autoimmune thyroid disease can become sensitive to iodine. Such people should talk to the doctor about it and be watchful about the iodine content in their diet.
· Pituitary gland: When the pituitary gland doesn’t function properly, it impacts the thyroid gland. As a result, the thyroid gland fails to produce sufficient amount of hormones.
· Viral infection causes thyroiditis. This eventually develops into hypothyroidism.
· If a person had undergone thyroid surgery for whatsoever reason, there are high chances of developing hypothyroidism
· A pregnant woman is also likely to develop hypothyroidism due to the hormonal imbalances that occur during the pregnancy
Unfortunately, hypothyroidism cannot be prevented in most cases. However, there are certain preventive measures which can delay the onset of this medical condition by contributing to the betterment of thyroid gland.
· Hypothyroidism can be prevented by taking iodine-rich food
· It is proven that smoking impacts the functioning if the thyroid gland. So, in order to keep the thyroid gland safe and sound, it is better not to smoke.
· Certain researches show that people who drink fluoridated water are more prone to hypothyroidism than those who don’t. So, it is advisable to check the fluoride levels in the water.
Hypothyroidism is one such medical condition which requires you to follow the diet rules strictly. You will also have to exercise regularly to help in the normal functioning of the thyroid gland. Above all, medicines play a great role in treating hypothyroidism. So, make sure you are taking the prescribed medicines regularly to manage the thyroid hormones. You can buy medicines online from online medical store to prevent interruptions in your course. You will also get same day medicine delivery to home as an added advantage.
Jessica Princy is an avid reader and relishes in writing. She has been working as a Content Writer at ZOYLO Digihealth. As a medical writer at her present organization, she has extended her writing skills into beauty, fashion, health and wellness domains. She possesses the flair of drawing the attention of the readers by writing eye-catchy and comprehensive content. Jessica loves to surround herself with informative and fantasy books